National Vision Expands Annual Continuing Education Symposium to Two Locations
National Vision hosted more than 1,200 optometrists for its Annual Continuing Education (CE) Symposium held in Dallas and Orlando in June.
This year’s conference was expanded to two regional locations to accommodate its growing popularity, enabling even more members of the National Vision Doctor of Optometry network to attend in-person from across the country.
“While this event is focused on education, it is also a celebration of the many accomplishments achieved by doctors practicing at offices in the National Vision Doctor of Optometry network,” said National Vision Vice President of Clinical Services Alexander Smith, O.D. “We are lucky to be among so many brilliant optometrists who not only love what they do, but who are passionate about continued learning and growth in their careers.”
The annual symposium enables doctors to attain up to 22 hours of continuing education through engaging COPE-approved lectures. This year’s event also celebrated the impressive milestones achieved by doctors while practicing at an office in the National Vision network. Distinguished tenure milestones were acknowledged among 184 honorees, who together have amassed more than 1,600 years practicing in network offices.
The following optometrists received special honors for their significant years of service to patients:
- Mary Howard, O.D. (30 years)
- John Bankowski, O.D. (30 years)
- Robert Elliot, O.D. (30 years)
- Jona Pradhan, O.D. (30 years)
- Mark Schneider, O.D. (30 years)
- Brian Cohen, O.D. (30 years)
- MyDung Truong, O.D. (25 years)
- Margaret Piatz Benck, O.D. (25 years)
- Thomas Cheney, O.D. (25 years)
- Jian Yang, O.D. (25 years)
- Anne Jacques, O.D. (20 years)
- Nokhram Boodhoo, O.D. (20 years)
- Leslie Bensinger, O.D. (20 years)
- Shilpa Amin, O.D. (20 years)
- Elizabeth Papazian, O.D. (20 years)
- Steve Mengarelli, O.D. (20 years)
Additionally, 14 doctors were recognized with the Optometrist Recognition of Excellence Award for providing quality patient care and outstanding contributions to their practices. These included:
- Ryan Johnson, O.D.
- Thomas Paar, O.D.
- Vinh Vu, O.D.
- Catherine Dees, O.D.
- Anthony Giallombardo, O.D.
- David Teed, O.D.
- Ishan Gandhi, O.D.
- William Roberts, O.D.
- Jonathan Elin-Calcador, O.D.
- Veronica Fowler, O.D., FAAO
- Kristine Lynn, O.D.
- Tom Fickes, O.D.
- Jerome Brendel, O.D.
- Susannah Lee, O.D.
“The passion and energy at this event each year truly reinforces the incredible community doctors experience practicing alongside our locations,” said Priti Patel, O.D., Senior Vice President of Healthcare Strategy for National Vision. “Continuing education costs can be significant, so we are proud to offer this event to doctors in a way that also includes excitement, celebration and relationship-building. It gives me great pride to know that this is an event that optometrists really look forward to attending.”
Learn more about the National Vision Doctor of Optometry network here.